What is an Expository Essay? Read on to Know More About Them
What is an expository essay? What differentiates it from other types of essays? These are some of the questions that most students ask themselves when they are told to write about these pieces. Interestingly, the majority of these students cannot answer them. So, read on to get answers to your questions. Expository writing is a type of essay that gives detailed information about a topic, provides up-to-date evidence, or defines a term. These academic pieces are wholly based on statistics and facts, and arguments are therefore backed with evidence, leaving no room for the feelings or emotions of the essayist. There are different categories of expository pieces, with each particular type presenting a specific type of information. These include:
- Cause-and-effect expository writings. They reveal how a specific action leads to another event. They use facts to provide evidence that a particular cause produces a specific effect.
- Historical expository writing. These are pieces about an individual or event from the past. In most cases, they are organized chronologically by order of events.
- Process expository pieces. These pieces outline how to complete a certain activity. A step-by-step procedure on how an activity is accomplished is outlined.
- Definition expository works. These essay types inform about the unique features of a subject. Here, the subject’s imperative features are presented.
- Compare-and-contrast expository works. They are pieces that explore the similarities and dissimilarities between concepts.
- Current events writings. These are pieces based on a contemporary issue or a current event. Here, the significance of the issue is described, and the different arguments or views presented. Likewise, they may be organized around the views of proponents and opponents or the pros and cons of a proposed deed.
Therefore, you may be required to compose any of the above types of expository writings. But you don’t have to worry if you do not know where to start with your essay as we are here for you. Our essay help service is meant to solve your expository piece problem. We offer all kinds of help. Whether your expository piece falls under engineering, health sciences, computer science, biological sciences, information technology, humanities, or religion, we can help. We have writers proficient in all disciplines.
Table of Contents
Take a Look at Expository Essay Examples
To create an accurate perception of what we mean by the term expository writing and how it appears about structure requirements and writing style, check out the expository essay examples below. Our professional writers have written them. We can also customize your piece. You have to place an order with us, provide the paper instructions, and wait to receive your piece within the deadline. It’s as simple as that! Waste no more time, place your order now!
Interesting Expository Essay Topics
Often, students must complete expository research. However, deciding on the focus issue becomes a challenge. They spend a lot of time and efforts trying to think of a topic but fail to make any progress. They feel blank. I will give you tips on how to devise an interesting subject and outline some topic propositions.
Firstly, one has to identify an area of interest to them to make an appropriate choice. Secondly, one should identify clear aspects that they know regarding what they chose. Thirdly, one ought to identify what they wish to understand about their selected topic and start their research from there to identify facts. Always put in mind that expository pieces should be grounded on facts as opposed to the essayist’s perceptions and beliefs. Below are expository essay topics that can be your subject of discussion. Also, these topic ideas can be utilized to develop one’s specific topic.
- Describe how the media’s undesirable impacts can be reduced on people’s lives
- Elucidate on the probable impacts of withdrawing or stopping schooling
- Clarify why a certain career interests you
- Discuss how the use of drugs by students affect them
- Elucidate on the probable impacts of engaging in sexual activities in teenagers.
- Explain the probable reasons for a student to be expelled from school and the impacts it may have on the student and their family
- Describe the impacts of dissimilar forms of music genres on the community
- Why do young individuals commit suicide? Explain
- Divorces are common in the 21st when compared to the 20th Explain
These are just a few suggestions. If they don’t fall under your academic discipline and you need a topic, contact us now. We will help you out by not only making a topic selection but also write an exceptional piece just for you. We will write your paper from scratch, ensure that every order requirement is followed to the latter, and the piece is ready on or before the deadline. We will also ensure that your piece is written by a knowledgeable, experienced, and competent writer in your discipline.
A Clear Expository Essay Definition
Expository writings are meant to explicate or analyze a specific subject area. Essentially, the word expository is derived from the term expose, which means “to reveal.” Exposing something entails showing what it is. Therefore, below is the expository essay definition:
An expository writing is a fact-based form of work which describes, explicates, clarifies, or illustrates a specific matter logically and straightforwardly. It is concerned with providing information about a certain subject while backing up claims with credible and reliable evidence.
How Does an Expository Essay Outline Appear?
Before beginning to write an expository piece it is important to draft an outline. Essentially, an expository essay outline affords structure and guidance for essayists as they start the writing procedure. For one to complete a quality expository piece they do not only require to understand the topic but also can devise a practical organization of content. Majority of expository pieces have a set format referred to as the five-paragraph arrangement. This is an appropriate approach to use especially if you lack considerable experience with crafting expository pieces. The five-paragraph arrangement incorporates below aspects:
- A lead paragraph. This is the paper’s foremost paragraph. It can be regarded as a compass that reveals to the individual reading which way to follow. It ought to be comprised of a vibrant, succinct thesis sentence that tells what the piece is about while revealing the focus of the article.
- Three-body paragraphs. This is where the key themes and data supporting the thesis sentence are presented. One chief theme is presented in each paragraph with supporting data.
- A concluding paragraph. A summary of the core concepts of the research piece is presented here, and the significance of the subject re-emphasized while being cautious to avoid repetition.
- A list of the utilized sources is then provided at the end of the research piece. Comprehensive publication details are provided for each resource.
The five-paragraph structure is just among the many options that can be used to organize an expository piece. Other structure types can be used depending on aspects such as complexity and length of the writing. For example, the 5-paragraph strategy may not be suitable if the writing is more than four pages since it is highly probable that the quantity of body paragraph will exceed three. Consequently, the writing will be comprised of a lead paragraph, body paragraphs, and conclusion- the single unique aspect is the increase in the number of body sections.
Learn How to Write an Expository Essay
We already know that an expository paper is comprised of a lead paragraph, body, and conclusion. But what exactly should you do to complete your piece? The following is a stepwise procedure on how to write an expository essay.
- Firstly, read the task instructions judiciously to gain an understanding of what is required of you.
- Secondly, think of a subject that suits the task instructions. Consider choosing a subject that is not broad to warrant that it will be thoroughly addressed within the set length limit. This is especially applicable when the subject area is not given. Sometimes, expository essay prompts may be provided by the instructor to define the focus of the piece.
- Craft a tentative thesis sentence that expresses the main idea. Developing a stimulating, unique standpoint on your subject is vital as it is a reflection of your research piece’s originality.
- The subsequent step entails choosing a technique of development that best serves your thesis. Here, consider all categories of research pieces and decide whether writing a compare and contrast, process, definition, or cause and effect research pieces is the required thing. It is smart to look at expository essay samples to paint a clear picture of how the research piece should look like. Alternatively, look up the definition of expository essay forms to determine what kind is appropriate for what purposes. Then, choose the most appropriate technique for your expository piece.
- Organize the research piece. Here, start by listing the key elements from which the article’s paragraphs will be based. Then, write out the principal supports that every paragraph in the body will be comprised of.
- Ensure that each paragraph is preceded by a topic sentence that re-counts openly to the thesis. This introductory sentence should make a vivid, rational link between the thesis statement and the support evidence provided in the paragraph.
- Write the expository piece’s body paragraphs with each developing the primary support outlined in the explicit introductory sentence.
- Provide a lead paragraph that provides the background of the subject matter, components of the body paragraph, and thesis.
- Lastly, compose a conclusion paragraph that reaffirms the thesis and the research piece’s elements. Also, bring the piece to an actual close. Ensure that no new issues are introduced in conclusion.
These steps will assist in crafting a well-written expository piece that meets academic standards. To make your work easier, you can place an order with us and give us the responsibility of ensuring that a first-rate paper is delivered to you. Additionally, the following tips can be helpful in ensuring that your piece is exceptional.
- Use the expository essay rubric provided by your instructor to guide you. The rubric shows how your essay will be assessed. It will thus guide you on what you are expected to write.
- Look up for expository essay ideas before you choose your focus issue to ensure that your choice is appropriate. Remember that expository pieces are fact-based as opposed to being based on opinions or one’s feelings.
- Ensure that your piece has an expository essay structure that is acceptable. Every essay should have a lead, body, and concluding paragraphs.
- Browse through good expository essay topics to assist you in crafting a relevant, substantial, and interesting piece.
Most of all, remember that we are here to provide any help with your expository work! We offer essay writing services of all sorts. So, you can ask us to help with any academic work. Whether you need a lab report, assignment questions, reflective journal, case study, project report, or annotated bibliography we can still help.