What Does Methodology in Research Paper Mean?
A research paper is a scientific work that investigates a particular subject or evaluates a specific phenomenon, or behavior in the society. Therefore, to assess the authenticity, validity, and replicability of the findings from the investigation, the methodology in research paper is put under scrutiny. The author’s research design, information collection, selection of participants, size of the population, analysis approach is all taken into account to test the viability and reliability of the author’s work.
Therefore, the methods section is an import part of any research work. All the claims and recommendations of the study will be weighed against the procedures and analysis techniques used in this section. The methods will determine if generalizing the findings to other populations, not part of the study group, is appropriate. Or are the results free from personal bias? To gain a better understanding, you can also check out previous scholarly works in your field to serve as research paper methodology example that will help you get started.
Table of Contents
The Importance of the Methods Section
So why do we need the section in a research paper?
First, results obtained in research are dependent upon the methods used for data collection and will affect how the results will be interpreted.
A research paper is an important scholarly work, and therefore, methods have to be chosen wisely not to get inaccurate results that would lead to misinterpretation of results.
To carry out comparisons with other similar studies in the same discipline to see if the research complied with the acceptable standards and procedures for such scholarly works.
The work has to be evaluated if it had bias by choice of methods or interpretation. Why did the author prefer a particular method over another? This information has to be clear and precise.
Any research needs to have some significance. Therefore, to be able to replicate and generalize the information, one has to ensure that the methodology used in the study is reliable and verifiable. In the case of generalizing results, the sample study or population has to be big enough to make such recommendations viable or valid.
It allows for noting any challenges or obstacles encountered during the study. Did they affect the findings? Or how were they mitigated? Can we still rely on the data collected despite the challenges faced? Such questions help evaluate the validity of the research.
Your methods section needs to have sufficient information that makes it replicable for future studies, especially in social science research studies. The information is crucial, especially if you have developed a new method or inventively utilized an existing practice.
Still Stuck? Look at an Example of Methodology in Research Paper
A useful tool for your research writing would be to look at an example of methodology in research paper where you would learn more about structuring principles for your methods paper section.
As a writer, make sure the methods section demonstrates how the research hypothesis is going to be proved or the problem under investigation analyzed. Therefore, finding an example methodology research paper pdf on the web or library would help you quick start or have an idea of what to do in your research.
Useful Tips on How to Formulate Your Research Paper Methodology
It’s now clear that the methods section is a description of the plans the researcher sets in motion to achieve the objective of the research. It needs to explore previous scholarly works laying out the basis for the selection of those sources and the academic rationale that informed that decision. It is recommended that the author uses past sense since it is essentially a report of what was done. Also, it is essential to include any refinements during the actual field study.
Notably, verifiability of the methodology scientific paper by other researchers is essential in enhancing the validity of the study. That is, other researchers should be able to replicate the procedures used in the experiment design and see if they could obtain similar results. Therefore, the cornerstone of any research paper is the method section, as it allows the author to prove his/her choice of a method produced valid and verifiable results. Another vital element to include in this section is the rationale used to compile and analyze raw data in the paper.
How Should You Structure of Your Paper?
Depending on the type of research or discipline, the method section might have slight variations. However, for a research paper methodology example, the following distinctive features are inherent:
- Materials and equipment description used in the study;
- Description of data collection procedures and any sampling techniques used;
- A section is providing an explanation of measurements used, as well as calculations made upon the raw data;
- A section is describing the statistical techniques used on the data.
Any research paper methodology section consists of the above basic structure that holds the essential aspects of how the research was conducted.
It would help if you wrote the method section clearly and concisely. Do not stray from the focus of the study by giving an interpretation, background info, or irrelevant detail.
Write from the perspective of the reader by not trying to explain what they already know but strive to put across a precise picture of your methods.
Important Elements of the Methods Section
Therefore, to summarize a well-written methods section has:
- An introduction to the overall methodological approach employed to research a particular phenomenon, issue, object, or occurrence. It should outline the reasons for selecting a specific method.
- An explanation of why the selected method helps achieve the overall objective of the research. It should identify the problem under investigation and how it will be solved.
- It explains the chosen type of analysis approach or tool for the raw data.
- It discusses any new methods used by looking into their background and rationale for being utilized for the research.
- It explains how the participants were selected and sampled.
- A statement of limitations of the study, if any, and possible constraints encountered during the research process and mitigation strategies employed.
Things to Avoid in the Methods Section
Remember these aspects to avoid in a methodology paper:
- Irrelevant details;
- Explaining basic procedures;
- A situation is known as problem blindness, which arises as a result of not sharing any barriers or challenges encountered during data collection and generation;
- Not citing all the resources used for the research.
How to Write a Methodology for a Research Paper: Things to Remember
Your life as a student does not have to be difficult since you can’t figure out how to write a methodology of a research paper. Seek the services of a professional writer and lighten the heavy load of assignments you have. When writing, remember for your document to qualify to be part of the realm of the scholarly work it has to be reliable and valid.
Noteworthy the contents of a research paper include:
- Name of research or research type;
- Methods of data collection;
- Methods of data analysis;
- Extra materials or tools incorporated or used for the study;
- The rationale for the usage of various techniques in the study.
Types of Data Collection Methods
The three types of methodology in research paper include:
- Qualitative methods;
- Quantitative methods;
- Mixed methods.
An essential element to include in your research methods is a description of data collection methods used, their selection criteria and those of participants. Some of the conventional techniques used include:
- Quantitative methods can utilize surveys, experiments, and existing data.
- Qualitative methods can employ the use of participant observation, interviews, and existing data.
- Mixed methods combine both qualitative and quantitative techniques.
Data Analysis Techniques
Also, when writing your methods section, provide an analysis of the method used in the study. It marks the beginning of presenting or discussion of any results realized.
Quantitative research analysis deals with a description based on numbers. You can use statistical software such as Stata or SPSS, conduct regression analysis.
Qualitative research, on the other hand, deals with description using images, observations, e.g., discourse analysis.
Finally, evaluate and justify the methodological approach you have chosen. Demonstrate the relevance, appropriateness, and significance of your chosen method. Point out any limitations derived and how such did not influence or affect the outcome of the study.
Hence, a reliable methodology paper needs to focus on the objectives and research questions for the study. Also, make sure to include relevant sources used and avoid any unnecessary details. Make sure to discuss the obstacles or barriers encountered during the study.
Example of Topics for a Research Paper
Now you are ready to get started with writing your research paper. Still not sure, check out the following list of research methodology paper topics to get you started.
- How is sexism portrayed in the different media streams (film, music, video games, etc.)?
- How has reggae music evolved since the last decade?
- What factors have influenced the current rise of unemployment in Africa?
- Do students that attend preschool perform better later in school life?
- What are the effects of stress on the body?
You can get more research methodology paper topics here.
You have probably learned enough about writing the methodological section for your paper but still can’t get started, maybe due to time constraints, or its difficult for you — no need to worry.
Check out the above list of research methodology paper topics to get you started. Also, place your order on our website with us right away, and we will deliver to you a quality paper written by one of our professional writers.
Wait no more! Fill out the order form on our website now, and we guarantee you a unique custom writing service that you can depend upon.