Expert Help with an Essay and Dissertation Topics
It is often remarked in academic circles that the key to successful writing is the right selection of essay topic. Therefore it is important that you give proper consideration to the selection of topic. Your topic should provide you with an opportunity to express your thoughts well and furthermore, your subject should be something that you can relate to, so that you can discuss it well and also engage the interest of your readers.
You should ask yourself the following questions when choosing essay topics:
- Does the subject have relevance to you personally" Can you embellish and add depth to your essay by using personal experiences?
- Is the subject you have chosen already written about" If you are simply going to repeat information discussed threadbare, you need to pick a new subject.
- Does your essay topic give you scope to add fresh material that is interesting to read" If you can not embellish our topic with readable and unique material, you need to hunt for more subjects.
- Essays come with a specific word limit. You should choose an essay topic that you can write on. Otherwise you will always fall short of the specified word limit.
Your choice of subject matter should be one that you can write about and also hold the interest of a reader from the first sentence to the very end. Enlist fellow students or friends to help you so that you have a wider selection of topics. Keep writing the topics down.
Once you have finished your brainstorming, you will have a list of topics that you find interesting and have some personal knowledge about. Now comes the second part of your selection process, i.e. evaluation. This is also an important step since the quality of your finished essay depends on this.
- Keeping the list in front of you, evaluate your strengths and weaknesses vis a vis the topics. For example, if the topic requires imagination and your strength is reporting of facts, cross it out. On the other hand, if you are good with fiction, pick the subject matter that requires creative writing.
- Evaluate your writing style. Do you have difficulty with tenses, or any other aspect of grammar, you need to write short sentences. If you have a limited vocabulary, do not chose a topic that requires extensive descriptions.
- If you have some ideas that can be combined to form a single essay topic, you could merge them into a single one. This would be excellent since you will have a lot to write about, and could easily fill the assigned word limit.
You may think that this is a bit like going overboard, but remember the essay should be excellently written in a way that showcases your writing style; hence you need to select your essay topic with great care. It should make your task of writing easy, thereby assisting you to write a well researched, engaging and well drafted essay.