Do Proofreading Before Publishing Your Dissertation
Doing a dissertation can be a back-breaking job; proofread before publishing your dissertation
You can think of doing a dissertation or a thesis only after you have spent at least a year or two learning a particular subject. Let us imagine that you are a student who has enrolled in a university of great repute, to do your Masters in a Business Administration. You need to understand that writing a dissertation is an unavoidable part of this course. You cannot hope to get your grades without having taken the time to complete a thesis. There are therefore, quite a few issues that you need to take care of before you think of publishing your dissertation.
Doing dissertation writing is a lot more complicated than trying to do an essay. An essay is a piece of writing that can be done in a day or two. Even a reflective essay or an argumentative essay can be done in a relatively short period of time. Writing a dissertation is quite far from this.
These are some of the points that you need to have on a check-list before you even think of publishing your dissertation:
- Do a complete spell check of the document and make corrections if and where necessary.
- Ensure that the format for footnotes, end-notes are done in the right way.
- If you have a particular citation format that you are asked to follow, make sure that this is followed perfectly.
- It would be good to run a plagiarism check on the entire document – Of course, not many students resort to this kind of underhand work. Nevertheless, there is a possibility that a few lines or paragraphs could have been inadvertently included in the dissertation.
- Make sure that sufficient space has been provided on the left hand side of each page so that binding can be done without any loss of information. Usually a margin of four centimeters on the left and two on the right, are acceptable by most universities.
- Make sure that the ‘works cited’ page is done completely. If you forget one of the authors whom you have quoted in your dissertation, there is every possibility that you could be accused of plagiarizing his content.
These are only some of the points that you need to keep in mind before sending your dissertation for publication. It is a process of checking, re-checking and ensuring that everything has been done according to the instructions given to you by your guide.
Since all these activities are part of a student’s life, one needs to get used to the idea of doing a lot of extra reading around the topic. This is the only way that you can ensure the quality of your work. Publishing your dissertation might sound like a very easy thing to do. It is easy, provided you have done your work diligently all through the year.