Entrance Essay: What do they look for?
The entrance essay is your introduction to those who will determine your selection. It provides the first window to your personality and life, something the other documents do not reveal. This essay could become the most crucial one you ever write, because sometimes, it could make the difference between getting through and failing to do so. So what is it you need to write for this essay? For one, an honest account of whatever you have been asked for. Lying about yourself, your achievements, and qualities may not take you far. For this crucial assignment you want to be honest yet creative, factual yet interesting, and detailed yet impressive.
So how do you go about doing all these? What do they actually want to know about you? The answer is fairly evident. They want to judge your worthiness for the course you desire. There are thousands of aspirants for the course, and you want to stand out as deserving. So the first thing you have to address is the reason for your applying for the course. Why do you want to do the course? What do you hope to gain from it? How will it ensure a better future for you in your chosen field?
To answer this question, you need to think of your aspiration with clarity and focus.
- What do you want to do?
- What do you want to be after the course?
- Where do you see yourself a few years down the line?
- How will the course help you reach there?
- Arenâ€™t there other courses or institutions that would help you similarly?
- Why this particular institution and why this particular course?
The next question you need to approach with more care. What do you hope to contribute to this institution? This could be tricky, because to know what you can contribute to something, you need to know the place, its attributes, ambience, demands, and history. Research will help you in this matter. You must be well informed abut the institution and/or course to answer this question convincingly. Think of
- How your presence will be an asset to the institution
- How your performance may add to the institutionâ€™s prestige and renown
- How your work could add to the institutionâ€™s corpus of good work
The panel also wants to know why they should select you from among thousands of other candidates. For this question, follow the dictum: â€œknow yourself.â€
- What academic qualities do you possess?
- What personal attributes make you a deserving candidate?
- What have you achieved in various fields: academic, personal, professional, athletic, social?
- Is there any quality, endeavor, or achievement that sets you apart or demonstrates a special skill set? Is this skill set, achievement, or quality relevant to the course or the institution? How?
The entrance essay is basically aimed at making you think about yourself in a clear, focused, and organized manner. When you think in this manner, you are able to write a coherent and well organized paper, and this neatness of thought and presentation might get you the seat you aim for.